Thursday 26 August 2010

In the beginning

I should have been studying for my Business course, but I wanted some recreation. I spotted a web advert for EVE Online on a webpage I was looking at (I can’t remember where the advert was, maybe a games review site). I always knew EVE Online existed, but it drifted out of my mind soon after its release. It was only after I started buying PC Gamer magazine in the last year or so that I got curious, as the editorial staff would often mention how they enjoy playing EVE.

I had never given EVE a try mainly because of my previous love/hate relationship with games like Elite, X-Wing, (insert all space exploration/trading games from the early Naughties), X2, X3 etc. I really enjoy space exploration games, but looking at stars rush past my screen whilst I repeatedly make loops trying to get my crosshair on the tail of the ship I’m chasing isn’t my idea of fun. I even bought a nice Saitek Cyborg joystick for X3 and gave it a real try, but the ‘twitchy’ combat aspect of these games is what always ends up putting me off in the end. I realise that same aspect is what attracts a lot of people, but I get more pleasure from winning because of brains rather than brawn.

My interest was peaked and I started reading some reviews. When I read that combat was a point and click affair, I was very pleasantly surprised. I realised this could be the space exploration/trading game I had been searching for all these years. I downloaded the 14-Day trial of EVE Online from the internet and gave it a try…

No comments:

Post a Comment