Thursday 26 August 2010

First impressions

My hopes were high, well not that high, in fact I was expecting to hate EVE…

The reviews were accurate and you don’t need a joystick, everything was just point and click. I spent two or three days working my way through the introductory tutorials (as was recommended in several reviews). The more I learnt about the game, the more I realised how massively complex the game truly was.

This did not put me off however; in fact it made me even more motivated to keep learning. After three or four days I was hooked and ran up against some of the trial account restrictions: I was given a large ship as a mission reward only to find that it was impossible to fly it on a trial account. I started investigating the subscription charges…

EVE was more expensive than I was expecting for a game that is seven years old, it actually costs more per month than WOW

Despite the costs causing me to think twice about subscription, I just couldn’t bear looking at the Sigil sitting in my landing bay and not being able to fly it because of the trial account restrictions.

Whilst I was trying to decide when I would subscribe, I stumbled upon an article talking about 21-day trials. Too late now I thought, but intrigued I decided to read on. I discovered that the 21-day trials were only available when given as an invite from existing players to people they know. What was really significant was that it mentioned players would often give a lot of in-game money (ISK) to new players that sign-up off of their invite. Curious, until you realise that players get one month of game subscription free if someone signs up off of their invite. This system is known as the 'buddy program'.

Ships and equipment in EVE cost a lot of money and for a new player many things are just way out of reach. The prospect of a nice pile of cash to start me off was irresistible, so I abandoned my 14-day trial account and went searching the internet for an existing player to invite me…

No comments:

Post a Comment