Friday 27 August 2010

Early days continued

Mining seemed a safe activity and so I set my goals on becoming a good miner so I could collect some more cash whilst I worked out what I was going to do next. I mined randomly in the local systems, then realised that the asteroids (roids for short) were not making me much money. Where could I get those Kernite asteroids that I had briefly encountered during the trade tutorial?

After a quick search on the internet I found two useful sites that helped with where to find certain asteroid types and how far away those locations were. I chose a system only two jumps away from my starting system and setup a mining operation there. I found a nice quiet (less stip miners) belt that was close to a station. I trained up some relevant skills and refitted my Coercer for mining. I enjoyed the challenge of refitting the ship for mining and after buying several pieces of equipment managed to shoehorn in four mining lasers, whilst retaining four laser turrets at the same time. The lasers were needed to defend against the pirates that would periodically turn up in the asteroid fields.

Things went well for a while, but I couldn't help thinking that the hours I was spending mining in my bastardised Destroyer could be mere minutes if I had a bigger more dedicated miner ship. I checked the skills needed and realised it would take at least a few days to train up to either get a mining barge or a Cruiser. I started along the Cruiser route, then changed my mind switching to barges and then shortly after back again to the cruiser route (I couldn’t decide).

After just a couple of days I abandoned mining all together, left the skills running and decided I would try mission running until my skills caught up with my ambitions. I refitted my Coercer for combat and went looking for mission agents that would give me combat missions.

No comments:

Post a Comment