Friday 27 August 2010

Early days

I was playing pretty much every opportunity I could, plus when I couldn’t. I was meant to be working on an assignment for my Business course, but that was put on the back burner so I could play more EVE. I realised quickly that the skill training queue has aspects in common with those very addictive Facebook games such as CafeWorld and FarmVille. I had to keep checking on my skill training queue, were my crops ready to harvest yet? … err I mean were the skills completed? Finally the day came for my assignment to be handed in, now I can play more EVE without feeling so guilty.

With my pile of ‘twink’ cash I was tempted to splurge on the many larger combat ships available on the Market, but I managed to resist and only used the money I earned. My self control was mostly generated by a fear that I might spend it on things I later found useless. It turns out I was correct as by the time a new player has gone through all the introductory tutorials you end up with quite a few ships, including a Destroyer from the advanced military tutorial.

I finished the tutorial, what now? The game suggests visiting an agent called Sister Alitura, this is the beginning of what is called the ‘Epic Mission Arc’. The only problem is that the I would have to travel about 18 star systems to get to where that starts. Travelling so far when I barely had a grasp of the game didn’t seem a good idea to me. So instead I decided to see what I could do locally until I understood the game better.

No comments:

Post a Comment